I’ve been sewing lately…
Tiny little garments for my two granddaughters… so much fun!!
Today I wanted to post about one of the easiest projects I’ve done so far–
It was fast, easy, and I think they turned out cute.
I bought some flour sacks at Walmart,
I think I paid $5 for this set of 5:
They were large enough to cut in half and it still turned out to be a generous size for a burp cloth.
That means I got 2 burp cloths out of each flour sack towel —
so you can make 10 out of that set of 5!
I cut a piece of quilt batting the size of the center of the burp cloth.
After I measured it and cut it, then I placed it on the center of the flour sack towel.
Cutting the flour sack towel was easy because the fold lines were exactly on the center–
I didn’t even have to measure it!
Here’s a picture of the flour sack towel cut in half – the one on the left is done,
and the one on the right is just ready for the batting & fabric piece.
As soon as I cut the flour sack in half, I serged the long edges.
The shorter edges were already hemmed, so I didn’t have to do anything there.
I serged the edges of the print cotton fabric I was going to sew
in the center of the burp cloth,
Then I centered it on the flour sack, right over the batting,
I pinned it down,
and sewed it down each long edge:
I tuned down the short edges and sewed a hem very close to the edge.
I ironed it once everything was sewn.
My daughter chose the rose fabric from a stash of fat quarters,
but it wasn’t long enough so I added a coordinating fabric at each end.
Because of the large size of the flour sacks, these burp cloths turn out
larger than the store-bought ones.
That was something I really liked.
We’ve used them already and it worked well because of their larger size.
It was a quick project and I look forward to making more like these.
I’ve made some bibs, tiny dresses, bonnets, blankets…
can’t wait to share those with you in the coming days. 🙂